According to the Mississippi Department of Transportation, over 500,000 trucking accidents occur annually in the United States. Of these, roughly 5,000 resulted in fatalities.
While there may not be as many truck and 18-wheeler accidents as there are between two or more automobiles or motorcycles, a large truck accident is far more likely to involve one or more fatalities.
Mississippi highways continue to get busier each year. As population and industry in Mississippi grow, trucks and 18-wheelers multiply, bringing supplies into our state and making deliveries. We all know that trucking accidents happen every year, but do you know the actual numbers?
- Of the 286,000 reported crashes involving large trucks, 2,987 (1%) resulted in at least one fatality, and 51,000 (18%) resulted in at least one nonfatal injury.
- Single-vehicle crashes (crashes involving only trucks) made up 20% of all fatal crashes, 16% of all injury crashes, and 35% of all property damage
- 64% of all fatal crashes involving large trucks occurred on rural roads, and 36% occurred on urban and rural highways
- 20% of “property-damage-only” accidents involving large trucks and 34% of all fatal accidents occurred at night
- 84% of fatal accidents and 88% of nonfatal accidents involving large trucks occurred on weekdays
From these numbers, it’s clear that trucks and 18-wheelers can be significantly dangerous to other drivers. It’s critical that motor vehicle drivers are keenly aware of any trucks on the road. Truck and 18-wheeler accidents commonly involve:
- Distracted truck truckers
- Intoxicated truck drivers
- Sleep-deprived truckers
- Overloaded or unsafe trucks and 18-wheelers
- Hit-and-run incidents
- Rear-end collisions
We also represent those injured in truck accidents, collisions or crashes resulting from defective products or design, such as defective seatbelts, tires or gas tanks. At David Butts Law Firm, we realize that damages caused by large trucks are time-consuming, painful to endure and even life threatening. And in a Mississippi Court of Law, experience makes a difference.
If you or someone you know has been injured or killed in an accident involving a truck, David Butts Law Firm cannot replace the damages done outside the courtroom. But we will help you get the compensation you and your family deserve.
Call (855) 543-4224 to schedule a FREE evaluation of your personal injury case, or simply use the form below and we will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.
For a FREE Consultation, or any questions about your case, call (855) 543-4224 or simply complete the form below and we will contact you within 24 hours to discuss your case.